- 2 cups water
- ½ cup dried quinoa
- ¼ (1 ounce) pecan pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped red onions
- 1 cup finely chopped green apple
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1/8 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1. Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add quinoa & return to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer, covered tightly, 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Drain in a fine-mesh sieve & run under cold water to cool quickly, shaking off excess liquid.
2. Meanwhile, heat a medium nonstick skillet (or add Smart Balance spray to skillet) over medium-high heat. Add pecans and cook 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet & set aside.
3. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in the skillet, tilting to coat bottom lightly. Add onions & cook 8 minutes or until richly browned, stirring frequently. Remove from heat & set aside on a dinner plate in a thin layer to cool quickly, about 4 minutes.
4. Combine remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Add quinoa, onions, & pecans, tossing gently, yet thoroughly, until well blended.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: ¾ cup