1 3-3.5 lb. chicken
6 cloves garlic, halved
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
Olive Oil spray
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Remove the skin from the chicken and then rub it inside and out with garlic cloves, leaving 4 pieces inside the cavity.
3. Rub the chicken well inside and out with a mixture of black pepper, dried sage and dried rosemary.
4. Place the chicken in a roasting pan. Spray the chicken with the olive oil spray.
5. Roast in the oven about 35-40 minutes per pound. When the chicken is about half way done, drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the chicken.
6. Chicken is done when the drumsticks are tender and the juices run clear when pricked deep by a fork.
Easy Sauteed Vegetables
1 cup matchstick carrots
1 medium onion, sliced
2 bunches fresh broccoli florets
1 cup celery sliced
1 Tbsp. Smart Balance Omega Oil
1-4oz. can mushrooms
1 Tbsp. lemon-pepper seasoning, or to taste
1. Cut the onion into slices and the broccoli florets into 2 inch pieces.
2. Put oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat and add the carrots, onion, broccoli and celery. Cook for approximately 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the lemon-pepper seasoning and the can of mushrooms, including the liquid. Cover an cook 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Vegetarian Whole Wheat Pizza
1 cup CSL Spicy Marinara Sauce
1 cup 2% Sharp Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Part-Skim Mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup onion, sliced
1 tsp. fresh chopped basil
1 tsp. fresh chopped oregano
1 tsp. fresh chopped rosemary
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 cup Crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 cups spinach, torn into pieces
1 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Whole Wheat Ultra Thin Pizza Crust
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray pizza pan with cooking spray.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onions, garlic and herbs and saute for a few minutes.
3. Add vegetables to skillet and saute another few minutes.
4. Spoon sauce evenly on pizza crust, add greens, then sprinkle cheese evenly on top.
5. Cook until cheese has melted.
Whole Grain Tostada
1-13 oz. La Tortilla Factory® whole wheat tortilla
2 Tbsp. Part Skim Mozzarella cheese
2 Tbsp. 2% Sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup black beans, no salt added
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh Pico de Gallo
1/4 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce
dollop of non-fat plain yogurt
1. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray before placing tortillas on top.
2. Spread beans, onions and cheese evenly over tortilla,
3. Broil until cheese is melted, leaving the oven door cracked. (May want to use toaster oven with kids).
4. Add lettuce, tomatoes, Pico de Gallo and yogurt on top.
Slice the spaghetti squash lengthwise and scoop out the insides. Cover with plastic and microwave for 8-12 minutes depending on size. Then, run a fork through the “meat” of the squash, and it will peel off looking like thin pasta. Add it to salads or cover with the marinara sauce and eat it like spaghetti.