Don’t waste that turkey carcass. Make a delicious stock for your homemade soup.
1 turkey carcass, broken into pieces
Any defatted pan juices of leftover gravy
12 cups of water (or enough to cover the carcass completely)
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
2 ribs of celery, diced with leaves if available
½ cup carrots, diced
½ cup diced (well-washed) leek
½ cup turnip, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. salt
Bouquet garni (In cheesecloth:, place 6 sprigs fresh parsley (or 2 tsp. dried parsley flakes), ½ tsp. thyme leaves, and 1 bay leaf and tie in a bundle).
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot. Bring the stock to a boil, and simmer it, partially covering the pot, for 2-3 …hours. The stock tastes better the longer it simmers as long as you don’t cook away the liquid.)
- Strain the stock & skim off the fat
…*Optional: If desired, remove all the bones, reserving any piece of turkey meat. Discard the bouquet garni and bay ….leaf. In a blender or food processor, puree the remaining vegetables with a cup of the stock and save the mixture ….for another soup or flavoring a stew or sauce.
2 Tablespoons minced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon Butter Blend
1 cup diced carrots
½ cup diced celery
½ cup finely chopped mushrooms
1 ½ Tablespoons whole wheat flour
6 to 7 cups turkey stock (see recipe, above)
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 cup cooked barley or 1/3 cup raw barley
1 cup diced turkey meat
Dash hot pepper sauce (Tabasco), or to taste, optional
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in butter, margarine, or oil until they are soft.
- Add the carrots, celery and mushrooms, and cook the vegetables stirring them, 3 to 5 minutes longer.
- Add the flour, and cook the mixture, stirring it, for another minute.
- Add the stock, marjoram, herbs and barley. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat, partially cover the pan, and …simmer the soup for about 1 hour.
- Add the turkey meat and hot pepper sauce, adjust the seasonings, and heat the soup to boiling.
- Sprinkle the soup with parsley just before serving. ENJOY:)