Wondering why you feel run down? Do you have a cold you can’t seem to shake? Maybe you need a nutrition check-up just like the Houston KBR Inc. employees are getting. They are also making sure they get their flu shots. Information being shared with the KBR staff includes examples of foods that help keep their immune system healthy. Goals to shoot for includes:
- Adequate energy: Ensure adequate calories, protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats for energy balance.
- Antioxidants: Eat 5-9 servings of colorful vegetables and fruit daily to combat oxidative stress.
- Protein: Choose lean protein foods, especially those high in zinc, selenium and iron while being low in saturated fats.
- Omega 3’s: Fatty fish and some nuts and seeds have omega 3 fatty acids that have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Vitamin D: Fortified milk, egg, Chinook salmon, shrimp, cod, trout, herring, mackerel, Yellow Fin Tuna, and mushrooms exposed to ultraviolet light.
Examples of Foods that Boost Your Immunity
- Amino acids glutamine and arginine found in meat, fish, dairy, raw cabbage, beets, legumes, nuts, eggs, and whole grains.
- Vitamins A and C found in apricots, peaches, cantaloupes, watermelon, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, greens, red peppers, oranges, and hot chili peppers.
- Minerals selenium, zinc and iron: snapper, halibut, cod, Yellow fin Tuna, trout, spinach, Swiss chard, asparagus, shrimp, lean beef, chicken, thyme, and Romaine lettuce.